Do you know that even when your head that houses your brain is separated from your body, you can still remain conscious for awhile? Amazing, isn’t it?
The brain is an amazing organ. It controls all your bodily functions. Even though it occupies a small part of your whole body, but if it is damaged, you won’t be able to lead a normal life.
There are other interesting facts about the brain which you may not know about. Below is a list of interesting facts about the most amazing organ in our body, the brain.
- The brain is made up of eighty-five per cent water. Two per cent of your total body weight is comprised of your brain but it uses up to a quarter of the oxygen that your body takes in.
- Meningitis is the disease that normally affects the brain. This disease causes an inflammation of the meninges which are the tissues that surround the brain or the spinal cord. This inflammation can cause a stiff neck and lead to severe headaches and high fever. If immediate medical attention is not given to this condition, death is inevitable. The brain specialist which would treat this ailment is called the neurologist.
- The average human brain weighs about 3lbs (1300 – 1400gm) which is heavier than a horse’s brain (1.5lbs) and lighter than a dolphin’s brain (3.45lbs). The animal with the largest and heaviest brain is the sperm whale whose brain weighs 17lbs (7800gm). The heaviest human brain was recorded at 5lbs 1.1oz (2300gm) and the lightest human brain weighed 1lb 8oz (680gm) which is as heavy as a camel's brain.
- Your brain doesn’t age. The brain loses its power from lack of use. Constant and regular mental activity keeps the brain young. To help mental alertness, try using the essential oil of jasmine. Using your brain to do mental activities like playing chess or solving mathematical problems would also keep your brain young.
- The part of the brain called the hypothalamus keeps the body’s temperature stable at around 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit (37 degrees Celsius).
- The right and left side of the human brain perform different functions. The left side is analytical while the right side is instinctive.
- People who were beheaded could remain conscious for almost ten seconds after the loss of blood supply to the brain. It has been reported that after Anne Boleyn was beheaded, witnesses were able to see her eyes blinking a few seconds before she died.
These are the most interesting facts about the brain which you may not know about.
Copyright © 2013 - uminoor.ExpertsColumn.Com · All Rights Reserved | Powered by: ExpertsColumn.com